“What I love about stories the most is the power they have to teach us of possibilities that might not occur to us without them.”– Ina May Gaskin
It is not only empowering, but awe inspiring to learn about the wonders of our bodies, especially the physiology and psychology of conception and childbirth. I have compiled a list of books that I found to be educational, inspirational, and overall good reads.
PREGNANCY & BIRTH
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth — Ina May Gaskin
- Spiritual Midwifery — Ina May Gaskin
- Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn — Penny Simkin, Ann Keppler, and Janelle Durham
- An Easier Childbirth: A Mother’s Guide to Birthing Normally — Gayle Peterson, Ph. D.
- Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds — Cynthia Gabriel
- The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices — Aviva Jill Romm
- Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering — Sarah Buckley
- Birth As An American Rite of Passage — Robbie Davis Floyd
- The Farmer and the Obstetrician — Michel Odent
- Birth Reborn — Michel Odent
- Real Food for Pregnancy: The Science and Wisdom of Optimal Prenatal Nutrition — Lily Nichols
BREASTFEEDING & THE POSTPARTUM PERIOD
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding — Diane Wiessinger, Diana West, and Teresa Pitman (La Leche League International)
- Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers — Nancy Mohrbacher
- The Nursing Mother’s Herbal — Shiela Humphrey
- The First Forty Days — Heng Ou
- After the Baby’s Birth — Robin Lim
To my clients: If you are interested in reading or discussing any of these books, you have full access to my lending library.